I HOPE ..

MAKE NO MISTAKE .. I FULLY REALIZE HOW BLESSED AND HOW LUCKY AND HOW FORTUNATE I AM TO BE ABLE TO TRAVEL AS I DO. THE ENTIRE POINT OF MY WEBSITE HERE IS TO REALIZE MY DESIRE THAT .. IN SOME SMALL WAY .. ONE OF MY POSTS OR ONE OF MY PHOTOGRAPHS WILL MAKE ONE PERSON'S DAY JUST A LITTLE BIT BETTER.

TO FEEL GOOD .. DO GOOD !

I HOPE THAT SOMEONE VISITING MY WEBSITE WILL SEE SOMETHING ON IT THAT THEY WILL NOT EVER BE ABLE TO SEE OR TO DO OTHERWISE .. AND THAT THIS EXPERIENCE WILL MAKE THEIR DAY OR THEIR LIFE JUST A LITTLE BIT BETTER !


IF YOU HAVE YOUR HEALTH AND ADEQUATE MONEY TO FOLLOW-YOUR-DREAM .. WITH DISCERNMENT .. FIND THE COURAGE AND HAVE THE GUTS TO DO WHAT GOD IS CALLING YOU TO DO!


TRULY THIS IS MY DOXOLOGY .. MY PRAISE TO GOD!

YOU CAN ALSO VISIT .. http://babakaps.net .. TO SEE MY OTHER WEBSITE.

Thursday 24 July 2014

JUL 24, 14 .. THE ALASKA VETERAN'S MONUMENT ..

The Parks Highway is one of Alaska's major roads. The highway runs basically north and south between Anchorage Alaska and Fairbanks Alaska.  At one-mile intervals along the highway are 'mileposts' indicating where you are along the highway.  The mileposts begin at the Anchorage end of the highway and continue numbering upwards until Fairbanks is reached.


The Alaska Veterans Memorial is located at milepost 147 of the Parks Highway.  With no exception .. when I am traveling the 'Parks' .. winter .. summer .. spring .. or fall .. clear weather or winter snow and cold .. and all weather in between .. I stop at the Alaska Veteran's Monument to pay homage to our veteran's.

The below two roads are named appropriately ..



The grounds are peaceful and beautiful ..


The Visitor's Center is shown below ..




And below is the Alaska Veterans Memorial itself ..




IF at this point .. you turn 180 degrees around .. you will see the view that the above 'military scout' and Patti are perusing ..




Now we will go forward .. walking past our military scout we enter the Memorial site proper ..


 
 
Now looking first to the right side of the Memorial .. we see the United States Coast Guard .. 


My father served in the Coast Guard ..


My youngest son David .. served in the Air Force ..


I served as a commissioned officer in the Navy Seabee's ..


Prior to serving with the Seabees's .. I served as an enlisted member of the Marine Corps ..



My eldest son Robb .. served with the Army ..


These three generations (my father, myself and my two sons) of my family served in each of the five military services.

I have a very personal tradition that I perform on each and every visit here.  Starting on the right with the Coast Guard plaque in front of me .. and then moving one-by-one to the left .. Air Force .. Navy .. Marine Corps .. and Army .. I stand 'at-attention' and formally salute each service .. stating as I do so .. "Ladies and Gentlemen .. Officers and Men .. of the United States Coast Guard .. I salute you!" .. formally and crisply.   

Patti's father served with the Navy and the Merchant Marine ..



The Alaska National Guard is also honorably recognized.


How nice it was that .. as Patti and I traveled the Parks Highway up to Fairbanks and home again to Anchorage .. we enjoyed yet another profound visit to the Alaska Veterans Memorial.

5 comments:

  1. You've done a splendid job of showing and telling about the Alaska Veterans Memorial. It isn't an easy task and I appreciate your work as you do mine.

    I love the fact that you pause, speak and salute each of the military services on each of your visits. All of your photographs are very well taken.

    You surely understand what it means to serve being in the Navy and Marine Corps yourself. And your father and sons served as well.

    I salute you from here in Beloit, Wisconsin.

    Now I'm off to check out your other blog. See you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we visited .. we were basically alone .. with NO busload of fellow travelers walking around as you experienced. And we can stay and just BE PRESENT. Thanks for your interest Shaddy .. Cap ..

      Delete
  2. I just came from your other blog. I couldn't find a place to leave a comment so I came back here.

    Your trip plans sound amazing. You'll be gone for a long, long time!!! I can't imagine being away for months but you seem to love it so I'm very happy for you.

    Seattle, Detroit, Hong Kong, India!!! Now that's some serious traveling. Will you be visiting family along the way?

    Best wishes as you make your preparations and all the time you're gone. Will you be blogging while you're away?

    Returned smiles,
    Shaddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaddy ! OH YES .. IF you go to my labels-list and check-them-out .. you will see that I am quite active on my web sites when I am traveling. IN FACT this is why I opened up my web sites .. so I can share my joy and experience traveling with those who may not be able to travel. I have been so blessed to travel as I do. NO FAMILY TO VISIT EN ROUTE. My 'FAMILY' are the servers and street people and hotel employees and internet-café staffs and so-many-others that I have gotten to know from my 22-plus years of traveling in India and Hong Kong. I go .. and I SIT for weeks or months so that I really GET-INTO local places. I do NOT skip around helter-skelter .. trying to see everything I can. Smiles .. Cap ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you travel and spend time in the places you travel to. "I sit for weeks or months so that I really GET-INTO local places."

      I'm really looking forward to "sitting beside you" as you post your thoughts and observations here on your blog.

      22 plus years of traveling in India and Hong Kong. Wow!

      Returned smiles,
      Shaddy

      Delete

TO ENTER A COMMENT .. SELECT A PROFILE BY CLICKING ONTO THE 'SELECT A PROFILE' BUTTON ABOVE. THE MOST SIMPLE METHOD IS TO EITHER SELECT (BY CLICKING ONTO) A GOOGLE ACCOUNT (WHICH CAN SIMPLY BE A GOOGLE G-MAIL ADDRESS) OR TO SELECT ANONYMOUS. THEN WRITE YOUR COMMENT AND IF YOU WISH .. PREVIEW YOUR COMMENT .. AND THEN CLICK ONTO THE PUBLISH BUTTON TO PUBLISH IT ..

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY WEB SITE .. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TAKING THE TIME AND GOING TO THE WORK TO POST A COMMENT HERE .. CAP