I HOPE ..

MAKE NO MISTAKE .. I FULLY REALIZE HOW BLESSED AND HOW LUCKY AND HOW FORTUNATE I AM TO BE ABLE TO TRAVEL AS I DO. THE ENTIRE POINT OF MY WEBSITE HERE IS TO REALIZE MY DESIRE THAT .. IN SOME SMALL WAY .. ONE OF MY POSTS OR ONE OF MY PHOTOGRAPHS WILL MAKE ONE PERSON'S DAY JUST A LITTLE BIT BETTER.

TO FEEL GOOD .. DO GOOD !

I HOPE THAT SOMEONE VISITING MY WEBSITE WILL SEE SOMETHING ON IT THAT THEY WILL NOT EVER BE ABLE TO SEE OR TO DO OTHERWISE .. AND THAT THIS EXPERIENCE WILL MAKE THEIR DAY OR THEIR LIFE JUST A LITTLE BIT BETTER !


IF YOU HAVE YOUR HEALTH AND ADEQUATE MONEY TO FOLLOW-YOUR-DREAM .. WITH DISCERNMENT .. FIND THE COURAGE AND HAVE THE GUTS TO DO WHAT GOD IS CALLING YOU TO DO!


TRULY THIS IS MY DOXOLOGY .. MY PRAISE TO GOD!

YOU CAN ALSO VISIT .. http://babakaps.net .. TO SEE MY OTHER WEBSITE.

Tuesday 27 March 2018

MAR 27, 18 .. INTRODUCTION TO .. SUNNYSLOPE (PHOENIX, ARIZONA) HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Once upon a long-time-ago, it was from the Autumn of 1963 and into the Spring of 1964, my first wife, our two sons (ages 4 and 1-1/2 years) and I lived way out (what was then) the Black Canyon Highway in the Sunnyslope Neighborhood located in the northern part of Phoenix, Arizona, 

Not only during this February 12th, 2018 to date visit to Phoenix, but also during our visit here from November 28th, 2016 to February 5th, 2017, I 'longed' to find where it was that my family and I lived back in the 1963/1964 time period.

Enter the one, the only, Gullible. 

Back in Mongolia, in November of 2015, Gullible (quite by accident) acquainted me with the term Trip Advisor. 

Translation : 

"Cap let's go find and eat a meal at Millie's Cafe here in Ulaanbaatar." 

"What is Millie's Gullible? Where is Millie's? How do we find Millie's?"

"I found Millie's on Trip Advisor."

"What did you call it?"

"Gullible! We are leaving Ulaanbaatar and flying to Hong Kong in two days. We don't have time to find, let alone visit, Millie's Cafe."

Long story short, Millie's Cafe was put-to-rest! We did not even attempt to find Millie's.

However the word Trip Advisor was now, thanks to Gullible, firmly implanted into my mind. So five months later, in April of 2016, I went-online and I found and I then explored Trip Advisor. I found Millie's Cafe listed under Ulaanbaatar Restaurants. Then I actually went to Millie's Cafe and found it was excellent. So I joined Trip Advisor and, in early May 2016, I posted a review of Millie's Cafe just-for-Gullible.

And? I got 'hooked-on' Trip Advisor.

And now you have, the rest-of-the-story about Trip Advisor.

Moving right along here at the pace of Molasses-in-January, a week or two ago, while surfing Trip Advisor, under Things To Do in Phoenix Arizona, quite by accident, I stumbled upon an amazing attraction here in Phoenix.


THE SUNNYSLOPE HISTORICAL SOCIETY 

I immediately went to this attraction on Trip Advisor. In  researching it, I found Sunnyslope. I then was able to discover that our 1963/1964 home was literally only a short distance, a stones-throw, from our Travelodge Motel off I-17 at Cactus Road. We were at 27th Avenue and Cactus Road and the 1963/1964 home was just 9 blocks South down from 23rd Avenue and Cactus Road!

So out and off Patti and I went to find my long ago home.

And? 

Find it we did. 

Fifty four (54) years ago.. 

Wait a minute, have I got this correct, can it really be 54-years from October 1963 to October 2017 and counting? At that long ago time, the entire Phoenix metropolitan area was still very young, and we lived in the modest, but quite adequate home, you see below.

Patti says : "Its pronounced Loopen. It's a flower Cap."

Cap says : "Its pronounced Lu - PINE. Hard on the word PINE."

Below are five photos of the street and the home on Lupine Avenue here in North Phoenix, Arizona.


The home is a modest home.



It served us well during our stay in Sunnyslope.

I will not bore you here with any more of my personal nostalgia. Suffice it to say that living here in Phoenix was an important step in both my personal and in my professional life. The world was my oyster and it stretched out ahead of me. 





One last aside, I gradutated from high school in Royal Oak, Michigan, in 1954, one year after the Sunnyslope High School was established in 1953. 


My high school in Royal Oak was established in the year 1913, forty years before Sunnyslope High School. Michigan was admitted to the Union in 1837 as the 26th state. Arizona was admitted to the Union in 1912 some 75-years later as the 48th state. Just an example of the fact that our nation progressed from East to the West.

In the following Post, we will look in detail at THE SUNNYSLOPE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Thanks for your interest in this slice-of-life.

Cap and Patti

The below link will take you to our review of the museum.

http://bobbacaps.blogspot.com/2018/03/mar-27-18-sunnyslope-phoenix-arizona.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

TO ENTER A COMMENT .. SELECT A PROFILE BY CLICKING ONTO THE 'SELECT A PROFILE' BUTTON ABOVE. THE MOST SIMPLE METHOD IS TO EITHER SELECT (BY CLICKING ONTO) A GOOGLE ACCOUNT (WHICH CAN SIMPLY BE A GOOGLE G-MAIL ADDRESS) OR TO SELECT ANONYMOUS. THEN WRITE YOUR COMMENT AND IF YOU WISH .. PREVIEW YOUR COMMENT .. AND THEN CLICK ONTO THE PUBLISH BUTTON TO PUBLISH IT ..

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY WEB SITE .. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TAKING THE TIME AND GOING TO THE WORK TO POST A COMMENT HERE .. CAP