I HOPE ..

MAKE NO MISTAKE .. I FULLY REALIZE HOW BLESSED AND HOW LUCKY AND HOW FORTUNATE I AM TO BE ABLE TO TRAVEL AS I DO. THE ENTIRE POINT OF MY WEBSITE HERE IS TO REALIZE MY DESIRE THAT .. IN SOME SMALL WAY .. ONE OF MY POSTS OR ONE OF MY PHOTOGRAPHS WILL MAKE ONE PERSON'S DAY JUST A LITTLE BIT BETTER.

TO FEEL GOOD .. DO GOOD !

I HOPE THAT SOMEONE VISITING MY WEBSITE WILL SEE SOMETHING ON IT THAT THEY WILL NOT EVER BE ABLE TO SEE OR TO DO OTHERWISE .. AND THAT THIS EXPERIENCE WILL MAKE THEIR DAY OR THEIR LIFE JUST A LITTLE BIT BETTER !


IF YOU HAVE YOUR HEALTH AND ADEQUATE MONEY TO FOLLOW-YOUR-DREAM .. WITH DISCERNMENT .. FIND THE COURAGE AND HAVE THE GUTS TO DO WHAT GOD IS CALLING YOU TO DO!


TRULY THIS IS MY DOXOLOGY .. MY PRAISE TO GOD!

YOU CAN ALSO VISIT .. http://babakaps.net .. TO SEE MY OTHER WEBSITE.

Sunday 23 December 2018

DEC 23, 18 .. SAYANO-SHUSHENSKAYA DAM

Right-up-front I am going to give you a link that will answer all of your questions about the SAYANO-SHUSHENSKAYA DAM, on the Yenisei River near Sayanogorsk in the Republic of Khakassia here in Russian Siberia.

https://en.wikipedia.o rg/wiki/Sayano%E2%80%93Shushenskaya_Dam

Suffice it to say it is really something special.

Thursday, the 20th of December 2018.

In this lifetime, sometimes you only get one shot / one opportunity to see / to do something. Such was the case on this visit. The cold was brutal.

Each and every single photo had a process : Remove my mittens, with now bare hands reach inside my jacket and get my camera, take a photo or two, put my camera back into my jacket, pull on my (now very cold) mittens. The reaching into my jacket opened up my chest area to the cold.

Doing the above process over and over and over again was brutal.

Bottom Line : I've done -60°F below zero and not been as severely cold as I was doing this photo shoot. I got cold and I had no way to warm up. I was not prepared for what I experienced.


SAYANO-SHUSHENSKAYA DAM

It was quite a drive into the damsite.






In 1933 there was a very respectable dam at / or near this site.



I am not sure what the significance of 1972 is. Construction began in 1963 and the turbines went-on-line from 1978 to 1985.  IF you take the time and go to the effort to read the above Wikipedia link, you will see that there have been many problems encountered during its life span.



I am not sure of the meaning of this display.




Sayanogorsk is the nearest town / village to the project.


Our first look at the appurtenant facilities associated with the dam.






Our first look at the dam.







The below photos show a memorial to all of those who constructed the dam and powerhouse.





A closer look at the memorial.





I've no idea of what this (above and below) is.





I debated whether or not to take the final photo below. My hands fairly screamed at me, "No! Not another photo."


Back to Abakan we head. The below photo was taken from inside of our automobile.



The cold and the wind, coupled with the darkness of the day, really made this a difficult visit.

But, I made the best of my once in this lifetime visit.  I doubt that I will return. I've heard that in the warm weather there are crowds of visitors.

Cap

4 comments:

  1. Your descriptions of the cold made me shiver. These pictures came at a price! The dam is impressive to say the least. Nice that you got to visit .. ONCE! Smiles and love. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the visit did come with a price to be paid. And I had no way to have been prepared with hand warmers etc et all. I had a one time in this lifetime opportunity and I did my best and I am happy with my best being good enough in my own eyes. The very last photo of the information sign was the toughest. I take three shots of most photos; normal exposure, then one notch lighter and one notch darker to bracket the normal exposure. My poor fingers were screaming at me!

    So the good news was no crowds. The bad news was the weather. And the short and very dark day. Much love. Cap

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cap,imagine standing out there in the wind holding a surveyors stick while your partner took the bearings ! Yikes !

    ReplyDelete

TO ENTER A COMMENT .. SELECT A PROFILE BY CLICKING ONTO THE 'SELECT A PROFILE' BUTTON ABOVE. THE MOST SIMPLE METHOD IS TO EITHER SELECT (BY CLICKING ONTO) A GOOGLE ACCOUNT (WHICH CAN SIMPLY BE A GOOGLE G-MAIL ADDRESS) OR TO SELECT ANONYMOUS. THEN WRITE YOUR COMMENT AND IF YOU WISH .. PREVIEW YOUR COMMENT .. AND THEN CLICK ONTO THE PUBLISH BUTTON TO PUBLISH IT ..

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY WEB SITE .. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TAKING THE TIME AND GOING TO THE WORK TO POST A COMMENT HERE .. CAP